In the Internet age, there are no excuses. We live in a world where anyone can teach what they know and earn money from their knowledge and experiences. By the way: have you noticed? Our perceived value of books has gone down. As written information becomes increasingly available online for free, we pay less and less for books. Meanwhile, the value of online courses where you can learn from home for cheap has gone up.
People don’t want to read; they want to watch video content while they relax or eat or on their commute. They’re not wrong for it. In fact, if the online course is well designed, it can give someone everything they need to know in the clearest form of communication, and in the shortest amount of time. How can YOU take advantage of this? You can create your own course that can make you passive income online, by just sharing what you know. Everyone knows something. They say, “a 4th grader is God to a 3rd grader.” Anything simple you’ve achieved before, from planting a garden to training a pet is something someone else wants to learn how to do.
In their search for knowledge and instruction, many people want to invest in a course so that what they need to learn is all curated for them (they don’t have to go digging for scraps of free information) and to ensure they’re getting quality content that guarantees success from someone with experience. In this course you can start from scratch with no idea for a course you want to create at all. It’s designed for you to create your own course as you watch the videos.
You’ll Learn How to:
- “Brain-dump” and “package” your knowledge into modules of teachable information.
- Create videos and edit them with free or inexpensive tools.
- Publish your course on a platform convenient for you (we look at hosting on Udemy.com versus hosting on your own WordPress website with a course builder plugin).
- Brand your course and write a killer sales pitch for the sales page.
- Create a marketing scheme and automate it.
- Launch an online course with as much initial momentum as possible.
- How to use bonus materials, registration deadlines and more pro tips to boost sales.
- Internet access
- Computer access with sound
- Computer literacy
- No experience needed with business, teaching or creating an online course
7 videos + 2 PDFs (checklist print-out and a clickable-URL resource list)
Module 1: Birth Your Course Idea
Figure out what course you can create and profit from, even if you’re starting with no clue.
- Brainstorm and identify what valuable knowledge, skills or wisdom that others will pay you for.
- Research your areas of interest and find out which one has the most profitable market to enter.
- Organize your knowledge and package it into teachable material (create a table of contents for your course, with each “chapter” being a sub-topic within your overall topic).
Module 2: Create Your Course Content
Develop and create a curriculum of content for your online course.
- Take the “chapters” you’ve written and expand upon the outline of your course, “brain-dumping” all the sub-topics you know within each “chapter” you wrote down.
- Turn each “chapter” into a video with a title. Write the contents of each video in an outline or a script (whichever works best for you) — or as slides, if you plan to record a slide show.
- Consider various forms of media in addition to videos, such as PDF checklists, cheat sheets and other print outs.
Module 3: Record and Edit Your Videos
Learn how to create your digital course using video production technology.
- Getting your equipment together (camera, video editor, microphone).
- How to do screencasting (digital recording of your screen) using Camtasia (free trial available).
- Types of videos (recording a still shot of yourself teaching; slideshow style; documentary style; animation; a mixture of types).
- Tips to ensure quality.
Module 4: Publish and Host Your Course
Learn the simplest ways to publish and host your digital course.
- Pros and cons to hosting your course on Udemy.com.
- How to host a course on Udemy.com.
- Pros and cons to hosting your course on your own WordPress website with a course builder plugin.
- Course builder plugin options for WordPress websites (Zippy Courses, Sensei, LearnPress, CoursePress, TeachPress, StudyPress).
Module 5: Brand Yourself and Pitch Your Course
Brand your course and communicate a core message to your target audience.
- Learn how to research your target audience and find out their key wants and needs (both what they’re asking for and what they’re not yet aware they need).
- Design a graphic image to advertise your course and visually communicate the transformation the course can provide.
- Learn how to write a killer sales pitch for your product page.
Module 6: Price and Market Your Course
Choose a price for your course and create a marketing strategy.
- Learn how to promote your course through a website, YouTube channel, podcast, webinar, and other platforms to sell more courses.
- Pitching and promoting your course on social media.
- Email marketing (building an email list with MailChimp, aweber or other email client).
- Execute, learn, revise your strategy, re-execute and repeat.
Module 7: Pro Tips to Boost Sales
Learn what works (and what doesn’t) when it comes to pricing, promoting and pitching.
- Discounts and putting courses on sale
- Adding a video pitch to your course sales page
- Places to promote your course
- Creating new content to sell your course
- Using free teasers from your course to attract students
- Creating a premium version of your course with a higher price point
- Trial and error with pricing